Sunday, March 2, 2008
We awoke to cloudy skies with the promise of rain later on in the day, however, we decided to venture out for our "Weekend Adventure".
Mineral Wells is located approximately 40 miles north of Granbury and provided us with a scenic drive to reach our destination. After having lunch we drove to Lake Mineral Wells. Lake Mineral Wells is a 646 acre lake with boating, fishing, swimming and offers 100 picnic sites as well as RV hookups. The lake provides a beach for swimming, paddleboat and canoe rentals as well as trolling boats to cruise the lake.
Cowboy poetry and stargazing are some of the programs offered at the new Lone Star Amphitheater. One of our favorite sites is Penitentiary Hollow. Stone steps laid more than 50 years ago wind through a lakeside labyrinth of giant boulders, rock walls and narrow canyons.
The trip down allows one the opportunity to see the rocks and formations up close and personal and if you are really adventurous rock climbing hooks are embedded in rocks around the area so that you can rock climb. The trip back up was a little workout but worth every breath. I can't wait to go back especially since I forgot my camera.
Another feature of the park is the trailway. This is a 20 mile long multi-use trail converted from an abandoned railroad right-of-way that runs northwest of Weatherford to downtown Mineral Wells. Now don't laugh, but Jerry and I plan on trying to walk the trail before the weather gets too hot.
I realize this is getting a little lengthy but just one more thing before I go. If you haven't been to Clark Gardens Botanical Park be sure to put that on your list of things to do this Spring and Summer. It is a 35 acre garden with facilities for all kinds of special events. It is open year round and one can see the beauty of each season as it emerges throughout the garden.
I hope that you can enjoy some of this little trip through my words.
Until next time get out there and see what your area has to offer.
Joyce & Jerry
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment